Questions to Ask When Taking a Meal
Often we jump at the opportunity to help a close friend or loved one. But what if you want to create a meal schedule for a new neighbor or a new mom from church? Fortunately, we have you covered! We've put together the questions you should ask to make creating a meal schedule a breeze!
We believe there are no wrong questions to ask the recipient when creating a meal schedule! Simply sticking to what is most helpful usually works best. People typically need to know where and when they can deliver the meal. It's also important to ask if there are any food preferences or allergies. Asking if there is anything else that would help them, like leaving the meal at the door, is a thoughtful question for both the meal recipient and provider who will want to know where to put the meal.
Over the years, and with help from our Take Them A Meal users, we have narrowed down the most helpful questions you can ask. We are sharing this questionnaire once more for you to download and use the next time you need a little extra guidance when setting up a meal schedule. It's easy to print for the meal recipient to fill out or email it directly to them so they can answer it and send it back to you when it's convenient.
Meal Recipient Questionnaire
1. Date it would be helpful for meals to begin:
2. How long would you like to receive meals?
3. Which days of the week would you like to receive meals?
4. Do you want meals each day, or every other day (keep in mind most folks are very generous so there are often leftovers)?
5. Time you'd prefer food to be delivered:
6. Contact Information:
- Address -- including landmarks and color/identifying features of house:
- Home and cell phone numbers; which one is better to use?
- Do you want the meal provider to contact you when they're on their way? Do you prefer a call or text?
- Do you want to share an email address? If so, please list it.
- Alternate contact in case you aren't available:
7. How many adults and children will be eating?How old are the kids?
- Will there be an extended family visiting during this time?
8. Food allergies and preferences (think of everyone who will be eating when you answer the food questions, i.e. children, visitors):
- Food allergies (circle all that apply):
- Wheat/Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Egg, Tree Nut, Peanut, Fish, Shellfish, Other
- Absolute hates ("kids won't eat any green veggie but we love salad"; spicy foods; etc.)
- Absolute loves
- Special diet requests- Vegetarian, low fat, low salt, low carb, sugar free, no desserts desired, vegan, organic, other
- Do you like ethnic foods? Asian, Mexican, Mediterranean, Italian, other
- Do you eat pork products?
- Do you enjoy fish /seafood?
9. Do you prefer disposable containers, or will you wash and return the containers?
10. Sometimes people want to provide carry out/delivery if they are too busy or are out of town:
- If someone was going to order directly from your meal schedule on TakeThemAMeal, which meals would you prefer?
- If someone was going to order a meal from a local restaurant, which one would you prefer? Please list the name, location, and phone number, as well as some menu items your family enjoys.
We hope we've made things easier by listing the most helpful questions you can ask the meal recipient before setting up a meal schedule. In our humble opinion, you are a rock star for wanting to help! Thank you for all you do in your community.
#1: This Cheeseburger Slider recipe is excellent to make and reheats well. The best part is you can make them in under 30 minutes!
#2: Know someone who is struggling? Consider putting together this sweet 'Favorite Things' gift. It's sure to make someone smile!
#3: If you're taking a meal to a gluten-free family, consider shopping at Costco! They carry tons of options. We've included a few gluten-free finds from our last Costco stop.
#4: Make taking a meal extra fun this fall with a Halloween Pot Pie. It's cute and delicious!
#5: Our 'Taking Cancer-Friendly Meals' Pinterest board is filled with great recipes and cooking tips for taking a meal to someone undergoing cancer treatment.
Read other recent blog posts:
- 5 Exciting Last Minute Gift Ideas & Offers!
- Favorite Soup Recipes Meant for Sharing
- Only a Few Days Left to Order our Engraved Spoons
- Our Engraved Spoons Make the Perfect Holiday Gift!
- Our 7 Favorite Gifts of 2023
- 10 Etiquette Guidelines For Taking a Meal
- Only a Few Days Left to Order our New Meal Carriers
- Our NEW Meal Carriers are Now Available
- Why You Should Say Yes to a Meal Offer
- My Mom's Graham Cracker Toffee