A Last Minute Meal to Take to a Friend
As I was making dinner for my own family (photo above), I was reminded of a time a few months ago when one of my dearest friends and I wanted to take a meal to a grieving family. I was stumped at first when deciding what to take, but my friend (who is the queen of taking meals quickly and often), suggested a specific meal and it worked out perfectly.
We needed a meal that was:
- quickly prepared
- easy to transport
- great for leftovers
- gluten-free (if desired)
- dairy-free (if desired)
- enjoyed by most people
In my mind, that was a tall order and I wasn't sure what we could take. One of my friend's go-to meals for a situation like this one is TACO SALAD. This was the meal we prepared and it came together beautifully. We also added cornbread with Cranberry Honey Butter. Yum! If your group needs gluten-free, dairy-free cornbread, this mix is great when made with almond milk.
When taking taco salad to a family or a crowd, you have so many options!
Base: Romaine or iceberg lettuce (washed and chopped), fresh spinach
Protein: Browned ground beef, chicken, black beans (rinsed and drained)
Toppings: Shredded cheese, sour cream, diced fresh tomatoes, avocado (add a little lemon or lime juice to prevent browning), black olives, crushed tortilla chips (be sure they are gluten-free) or Doritos (these have not been tested and cannot be labeled gluten-free)
Dressing: Salsa, taco sauce
This meal works well for feeding a family or a crowd. If it's a more casual presentation like for a family or potluck, use containers with lids or you can see how Maureen uses paper bowls here. For our more formal meal, we used "crystal" bowls from Dollar Tree to create a nicer feel for the grieving family.
This is an easy meal to split up among friends if you are feeding a larger group (without much notice) like we were.
Happy Summer from me and the TakeThemAMeal.com team!
Read other recent blog posts:
- Delight a Friend with Queen Elizabeth's Favorite Tea Treat
- Celiac Disease Awareness Day - Bringing a Gluten-Free Meal
- How Our New Site Will Help You this Fall!
- On-the-Go Meal Ideas Plus Meal Storage Options
- Small Thoughtful Gifts for a Friend
- 5 Favorite Cookbooks to Try This Fall
- Complete Weekly Meal Plan Using Our Recipe Section
- The Seasoned Mom is Our Celebrity Meal Provider for August
- Using Social Media to Help a Friend
- July's Celebrity Meal Provider: Maegan of The BakerMama